I see light

1/02/2006

What If???

I have always been touched by this poem
It is about the poet's abortion experince
Here is Lucille Clifton in her






the lost baby poem





the time i dropped your almost body down
down to meet the waters under the city
and run one with the sewage to the sea
what did i know about waters rushing back
what did i know about drowningor being drowned

you would have been born in winter
in the year of the disconnected gas
and no car
we would have made the thin walk
over the genecy hill into the canada winds
to let you slip into a stranger's hands
if you were here i could tell you
these and some other things

and if i am ever less than a mountain
for your definite brothers and sisters
let the rivers wash over my head
let the sea take me for a spiller of seas
let black men call me stranger always
for your never named sake

2 Comments:

  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Alia said…

    it's always me who posts 1st comment, what do I get?
    I'd suggest a gift from Depeche Mode!!!!!!

    & Are you touched by the poem or the teeny tiny foot??

     
  • At 4:40 AM, Blogger White Wings said…

    Alia
    you get eggs for breakfast every morning in Lebanon, how is that?
    And the feet are a torturing factor actually when put side by side with this poem!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home